There are fourteen types of cures to remove sadness, grief or depression according to the Prophet’s (peace and blessing be upon him) guidance [these consist in various supplications that are taught to us by our Prophet (peace be upon him)]
1. Affirming Allah’s Oneness in His Lordship.
2. Belief in the creed of Tawheed: There is no true God but Allah and Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His Messenger.
3. Praising Allah for not dealing with His slave with injustice and for not punishing him without a reason.
4. The slave’s affirming that it is he who has committed the injustice.
5. Pleading to Allah by the most beloved methods to Him, by His Names, Attributes, such as Al Hayy (the Ever Living), Al Qayyum ( Who sustains everything and everyone).
6. Depending and relying on Allah alone for everything.
7. The slave affirms that his hope is only in Allah.
8. Acquiring the true dependence on Allah and relating all matters to Him, while admitting that the slave’s forelock is in His Hands alone and that He does with it whatever He Wills. Also admitting that Allah’s decision on the slave will certainly come to pass and that His Judgment is certainly just.
9. The slave’s heart should enjoy the gardens of the Qur’an and should make the Qur’an just like a spring of pure water to the animals. Also, the slave should use the light of the Quran to shatter the darkness of desires and lusts. The Qur’an should be one’s companion when no one else is present; the comfort that relieves every type of calamity and the cure that discards every illness that attacks the slave’s heart. In short, the Quran should be a remover of sadness and the end of depression and grief.
10. Turning to Istighfar, seeking forgiveness from Allah.
11. Repenting to Allah.
12. Performing Jihad in Allah’s cause.
13. Performing prayer
14. Relating all power and strength to He Who grasps them in His Hands.
Excerpt from the book “The medicine of the prophet by Ibn Jawziyy”